We all have days when we are down, worn out and just not feeling all that happy. That’s okay. We need to have days like this, otherwise how would we know when we are happy? There is a saying that goes, “There are no rainbows without the rain”.
I’ve learned to appreciate good days even more when I have the occasional bad day for contrast. Even though sadness is a part of life, I try to make it a small part of life. One of my favorite things to do is to channel my sad feelings into a song. I use the negative to create a positive.
Here are a few more tips to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the dumps. They are easy to practice every day, and they work!
1. Stand up straight and sit up straight. When your body is in alignment your energy can flow and when your energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. It is easy to do and effective. This technique can also change the way others react to you, which can further elevate your mood.
3. Repeat positive affirmations like “I feel good”, “Positive energy flows through my body”, and “I see the good in all”. Always phrase your affirmations is a positive way. For example, “I hate smoking” becomes “I love taking deep breaths of fresh air”. One more very important thing about affirmations, you must infuse your affirmations with emotion. This is the key to making affirmations work.
4. Listen to some music that you like. Yes, turn up Miss Kristin Music in your headphones! It doesn’t have to be
anything specific, just something you enjoy. Take some “me” time. Indulge yourself in something you enjoy, such as reading a book or taking up a hobby. Slip into a bubble bath or watch a sunrise or sunset .
6. Meditate. Meditation is an excellent habit to develop. It will serve you well in all that you do. If you have a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain into the meditative state. Just search for “meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
7. Exercise. This doesn’t have to mean pumping iron! Even something as simple as taking a walk will get your blood flowing. Believe me, you will feel better.
Our outside world is simply a reflection of our inside world. Remember there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are sad, realize that you have the power to change your perception.
These tips will lift you up when you are down, but don’t just use them when you are sad. Try and practice them every day, to make them a habit. You will be surprised at how effective these simple exercises are at keeping the blues away.
On a final note, tap into your spirituality. Learn to pray and come to know who you are in Christ. He was here for a purpose and so are you. Find out your purpose, and if you are in a deep depression that you can’t seem to shake, please go see a doctor. This is your life, don’t take any chances.